Interim Senior Pastor Job Description
Wayne Presbyterian Church
Wayne, PA 19087
Reports to:Philadelphia Presbytery and Session
Directly Supervises:Executive Associate Pastor
Salary Range: TBD
Job Summary:The Interim Senior Pastor at Wayne Presbyterian Church (WPC) will lead and guide the church as it seeks to live into its mission: “In an atmosphere of caring hospitality, WPC responds to God’s grace with worship, lifelong Christian education, and mission outreach.” The Interim Senior Pastor will serve as preacher, pastor, and teacher, and will assist the congregation to look toward the future as it prepares to receive a new called pastor.
• Assume primary preaching responsibility.
• Oversee all aspects of the worship planning process, including coordination with the Director of Music and assignment of liturgist and preaching roles.
• Inspire and challenge members of the congregation to live out their faith as they go abouttheir daily lives.
• Preside over Holy Communion.
• Participate in teaching classes on sermon topics and biblical themes.
• Share in pastoral care of those who are sick, infirm, homebound, dying, or mourning.
Head of Staff and Related Leadership Roles:
• Provide a clear vision and leadership for developing and empowering the staff and Sessionas WPC prepares for its new installed pastor.
• Create an environment where effective church programs can flourish.
• Guide the establishment of additional avenues for creating community among members and friends of WPC.
• Work to attract and welcome new members.
• Serve as pastoral liaison to the Mission Committee.
• Take the initiative and provide leadership in ecumenical and interfaith activities.
• Support and assist with the annual stewardship campaign.
Moderator of Session:
• Moderate monthly Session meetings and provide leadership to Session in accord with biblical mandates and requirements of the Book of Order of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
• Be in communication with committee moderators and attend committee meetings as appropriate.
• Participate in Presbytery and interpret for Session and congregation the planning,programming, and decisions of the Presbytery, Synod, and General Assembly.
Role in Strategic Planning with regard to the Future Direction of WPC:
• Provide leadership that appreciates and respects the wide range of viewpoints, values, and needs among God’s community at WPC to help the community move forward together.
• Prepare the church for its new installed pastor.
• Engage with key areas of growth at WPC, e.g., children, youth, and their families.
• Deep faith in Jesus Christ and a love of the church.
• A pastoral “heart,” with a warm, caring, and outgoing personality.
• Strong interpersonal relationship skills, with ability to listen actively and readily show empathy.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, and a compelling presence in the pulpit.
• Team player who connects well with individuals and groups and exhibits a positive attitude.
• Commitment to shared ministry and a collegial style of leadership.
• Clear evidence of deep integrity personally and professionally.
• Energy for supervising and leading.
• Commitment to translate the good news of the gospel into a vision for the church and community.
• Ordained in the Presbyterian Church (USA) or other denomination in full communion with the Presbyterian Church (USA).
• Minimum of 5 years in pastoral leadership in large congregation setting.
• Completion of transitional ministry training.
• Demonstrated leadership, management, and strategic planning skills.
• Demonstrated effective interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to relate to parishioners from a wide range of ages and with differing needs, views, and desires.
The Transitional Pastor shall be invited to serve for the period of one year, with the option of extension at the request of the Session and with the approval of the Presbytery through the Committee on Ministry. The Transitional Pastor contract shall be terminated upon the effective date of the call of the new pastor and may be terminated by either the Session or the Transitional Pastor with thirty days written notice. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits package will be offered in accordance with Presbytery guidelines.
The Session of the Church and the Transitional Pastor understand and agree that the Transitional Pastor cannot and will not be a candidate for any pastoral position in this congregation, and that he/she will seek in every way to prepare the way for the arrival of the installed pastor.
The Transitional Pastor will assist with the Missional Study, but not the Ministry Information Form (MIF). He/she will also ensure that the Pastor Nominating Committee (PNC) is formed.
At the conclusion of the Transitional Pastorship, any future contact that may occur between the Transitional Pastor and the members of WPC’s congregation will be as friends, and not in any official capacity.
People interested in this opportunity for ministry should send their Personal Information Form (PIF) to:
Ms. Tracy Jarman, Chair, Interim Pastoral Nominating Committee, at