Wayne Presbyterian Church (Wayne or WPC) is an active congregation located in the community of Wayne, Pennsylvania, a suburb approximately 15 miles from Philadelphia. Wayne is part of the Presbytery of Philadelphia.
Wayne was founded almost 150 years ago when the original church building (now called Chapel Hall) was dedicated in 1870. Located in the center of Wayne, this impressive stone structure, with a 108 foot tall steeple, was truly a focal point of what was then a very small town. Construction began that year on a new sanctuary seating 600 persons which was completed in 1893. This beautiful sanctuary with vaulted ceilings and stone wall which was subsequently remodeled is the primary worship space at WPC today. Additional stained-glass windows were added over the years to compliment the two large original Tiffany-style windows.
An education wing was built in 1939. Following renovation ($1.2MM) in 2002, it now serves as the administration area including offices for clergy and administrative staff, meeting and conference rooms and a large rehearsal facility. A three-story Christian Education building erected in the 1960s adjoining Chapel Hall houses 33 classrooms, a reception parlor, an institutional kitchen and the church library. In 1998, through an extensive building renovation ($4.1MM), the Christian Education building and the sanctuary were joined by a light-filled and well-used Connector, adding gathering space and offices.
A more recent ($3.2MM) Capital Campaign provided funding for major facility maintenance and construction projects. In addition, these funds enabled WPC to take ownership of the New Spirit Presbyterian Church in Southwest Philadelphia in 2013. Following extensive renovation, The Common Place is now a faith-based educational outreach and community center in addition to housing the New Spirit Church.
Worship at Wayne is enhanced by its four manual, eighty-seven rank Austin pipe organ. The original organ of sixty-three ranks was installed in 1963. A twenty-four-rank antiphonal organ housed in the church tower was added in 1985. A Van Bergen electronic carillon replaced an older electronic carillon in 1993. A new organ console was installed in 2003. In addition, a trompette-en-chamade was installed at the front of the chancel.
We are in the process of adding content to "Our Church Home".
Our intent is to provide some history of our buildings as well as information on new initiatives, major rennovations and significant maintenance projects. This page is managed by the Property Committee, Weezie Duff, Chair.
Please click here for more information on